Evelyn's Lullaby...Lyrics Recreated by Elizabeth Loeffler...Performed by Jodi Davis
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 3, 2011

i know this because evelyn belly-laughs

I keep thinking I'm going to get in the blogging mode again... that I'll miraculously have the time and mental energy to sit down and post after I put Evelyn down for the night... all of you mothers know that's not a consistent reality.  


I've barely blinked since my last post... seriously, this mommy business might be a conspiracy put on by whomever controls the clock.  time really DOES go by faster!!!


I feel like Evelyn has progressed so much developmentally in the last couple weeks... She's sleeping so much less.  To the point that taking her to work with me has become a bad idea.  I thought I would have more time before having to find day-care or a babysitter.  Like everything else, it snuck up on me...


Before Christmas, I was making homemade gingerbread cookies for our neighbors across the street and our cleaning lady.  Our neighbors across the street are a retired couple who I've grown to love... and who, I believe, have grown to love us 


{ although, for them it was a long road! 
These are the same people who lived 
across the street when Jordan bought our 
home his sophomore year at OU. 
....
 And we are the same people who basically had 
street parties every weekend and undoubtedly 
kept george and karen up all night 
through our collegiate years... listening to soulja boy
or something as equally lame! }

for everyone's sake, jordan and i have settled down a little bit and party a lot less... 
as we've domesticated, we've also come to know our sweet neighbors. 

 Anyway, as I was making their gingerbread cookies, it dawned on me... Why not ask George & Karen to keep Evelyn!?!?  So, that night I took their cookies to them and asked them to consider keeping Evelyn 2 days a week while I work.  There was no thinking involved... they immediately accepted.  And I'm pretty sure Karen jumped up and down :)


It's been the best thing for both Evelyn & I... and quite possibly for Karen & George.


Gramma Karen & Papa George love Evelyn.  I know this because George talks to Evelyn in his Daffy Duck voice until she is belly laughing.  And Karen gets disappointed when I switch my work schedule around and she has to wait an extra day to see Evelyn again.


And Evelyn loves Gramma Karen & Papa George.  I know this because Evelyn belly laughs at George's Daffy Duck voice.  She doesn't cry when I leave.  She naps well which tells me she feels right at home.  She cuddles with Karen... And they have a fan on their ceiling... which, never fails to win Evelyn's heart.


Evie is also eating solids!!! 
peas, peaches, sweet potatoes, bananas, squash, cereal... 
she loves it all!!


On another note:  recently, i've been craving creativity... When I was pregnant I was always working on Evelyn's nursery.  Her room was my creative project for a while... Since she's arrived, I have been starved of creativity.  So, I've decided to figure out a way to be creative again.  

I'm going to learn to sew! 

My MIL sews and owns a Bernina, which apparently is the rolls royce of sewing machines... so, i'm going to take advantage of my resources and have her teach me.  

My first project? 
I'm going to make stacking rings for evelyn... 



...using these fabrics...





I'm so excited for the pattern and materials to come in!! 
I'm also a bit intimidated!! 
If I complete this project without breaking the bernina, sewing my finger to a stacking ring, or putting my head through a wall... I might have to buy my own sewing machine...
 MY BIRTHDAY IS COMING UP YOU KNOW!

While I wait on the ingredients for that project to show up on my doorstep, I started figuring out how to make the kinds of head pieces that I buy for Evelyn on Etsy all the time.

Last night I made this little ditty... and I wore it today to work... and actually got compliments!



My creativity tank is now half full! 
This rosette cluster is a product of upcycled ribbon, pillow case, 
t-shirt, and a pair of jeans that evelyn has outgrown... 

Maybe even I could sell the manifestations of my creative cravings on etsy
... ah, let's not get ahead of ourselves...














No comments:

Post a Comment