Evelyn's Lullaby...Lyrics Recreated by Elizabeth Loeffler...Performed by Jodi Davis
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Special Thank You

I was on a time crunch earlier when I posted Evelyn's Lullaby.  
I was so anxious to share my new favorite song with all of you 
...I didn't give Jodi the proper thanks she deserves...

I've always said that the only kind of friendships worth having are the ones where you can go months, sometimes even years, without seeing one another and losing no loyalty on either end.

Jodi Davis is exactly the type of friend who cherishes & practices the same kind of friendships that I  hold so dear.

I met Jodi in highschool through a mutual friend... we hit it off immediately and even after the initial mutual friendship had severed on my end, I always knew that Jodi would continue to be a great friend.

The one thing about Jodi that has always stopped me dead in my tracks and kept me mesmerized for hours is her incredible instrument that so few people are graced with... her God given singing talent makes my hair stand on ends and always inspires me to sing myself (I used to sort of have a half-way decent voice... I've abandoned singing, but am always inspired by Jodi's awesome talent)

Anyway, it was about 20 weeks into this pregnancy, after we had picked out a name for the baby. I was laying in bed listening to my "night night playlist" on my iphone.  
Dixie Chicks' 'God Speed' came on and I heard myself singing along lightly.  
Natalie Maines would sing "Godspeed Little Man...Sweet Dreams Little Man"
 And out of my mouth came "Godspeed Evelyn... Sweet Dreams Evelyn"
I sat straight up in bed and thought to myself, 
'I could have this song recorded to be just for ev'.  

I turned on my bedside lamp and picked up a pen and paper and began jotting down the original lyrics of Godspeed while changing the parts that referred to a little boy into phrases that were perfect for my little girl.  I had the perfect song written (or rewritten I should say)... then I thought of Jodi.

Jodi moved to Nashville some years ago to break into the music industry... I messaged her on facebook that night asking her to please record Evelyn's Lullaby for me.  It must have been 1:30 am when I sent the message.  And she accepted whole heartedly the next morning...

So, Jodi: thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for having the undying loyalty that so few people possess & that I treasure above most other attributes.  Thank you for taking the time and using your resources & beautiful voice to give Evelyn the most special gift.  
Evie is going to absolutely love her lullaby & her aunt jodi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment