Evelyn's Lullaby...Lyrics Recreated by Elizabeth Loeffler...Performed by Jodi Davis
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 21, 2010

Kaizer

So, I've been MIA... mentally, socially, & technologically.  
A lot has happened since my last post.


Kaizer was my shi tzu that has been my baby for 6 years.  I love him dearly! I got him during a rough patch during college and he served as my source of comfort and has since been my best friend. 


Kaizer




.



I told in my previous post of how we had a scare when we were told Kaizer had encountered some sort of abdominal blunt force trauma and had luckily survived.  Jordan's theory differed from the veterinary's theory on what exactly happened the day we found kaizer acting so strange.  The vet said he was either kicked or hit by a car.


My husband, in his infinite wisdom, suggested that kaizer had probably gotten stuck under the gate we had just installed, and struggled to get out: causing internal injuries.  The new gate replaced the old gate that left a 3 inch gap from itself and the ground.  Kaizer had no trouble digging a bit under the old gate and slipping right through to go hang out with the neighbors or lay in our front yard watching the cars pass, waiting on jordan or i to get home... But, this new gate was flush to the ground.  even opening it was a challenge.  We installed the new gate to protect kaizer: we were always fearful that he would get hit by a car when he got out... 


so, saturday mid-morning i put kaizer and sam in the backyard to enjoy the beautiful day.  kaizer was 100% after his mysterious blunt force trauma incident... at about 1:30 i went out to get the dogs.  sam reluctantly came in from over by the gate... kaizer never came.  I assumed he had gotten out again and went out front to start calling for him.  i then rounded the corner over on the side of our house where our gate is.  That's when I saw him.  Kaizer's body was jammed under the fence, his head on the backyard side.  I dug with my bare hands to release him, but he was already gone.  Ironically the gate we installed to protect our little man killed him.


I, of course, was ballistic... and alone.  Jordan couldn't leave work.  My Uncle Si was so sweet to come get Kaizer's body and bury him on land outside of norman.  We chose not to bury him in our backyard in fear that Sam would dig him up.


I've been grieving hard... Sam's been grieving harder.  Kaizer was Sam's best friend and Sam watched him die, possibly trying his hardest to save him.  Sam's experience is even more tragic than mine, and his grief is a testiment to that.  Sam will hardly eat, has no energy, and most hours of the day can be found laying in the backyard by the gate.  It's breaking my heart that I can't make it better for him.


The best thing I could have done for my own grief was start over with another puppy to love.  I got another shi-tzu that looks an awful lot like kaizer.  He's the sweetest little guy and is definately softening the blow of the loss of my kaiz.  The new puppy's name is Jack.


Meet Jack


Sam is trying his hardest to be hospitable to the new member of our family.  
I know he's confused, but one day they'll be the best of friends.

Kaizer: I love you more than you could have ever known.  
You were my sweetest boy! And you are missed every day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment